What use the AstroOntology

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 10:16:34 PST 2007

> What use is has-emission in? If you are looking for those
> QSOs within a
> specific range, as in has-emission-in X-ray of 10^35 < Lx < 10^36 erg?

That really is the point I was getting at. AFAIK an ontology cannot store
the fact that '10^35 < Lx < 10^36 erg', but only the very broad
'has-emission-in X-ray'. Is it still useful?

An application, however, might use the AstroOntology (which, I agree, is
relatively static) allied to a ruleset relating to high emission X-ray
objects to deliver useful information to the astronomer.

What I was really after, though, was use cases for employing the
AstroOntology, from which I hoped we could derive the necessary relations
(beyond the obvious ones such as 'is-a-type-of' and 'is-a-component-of').

T.