What use the AstroOntology

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Tue Mar 6 12:18:07 PST 2007

Tony,

	Let me just name some use cases for an astronomy ontology off the top
of my head.  We have already mentioned a bunch.  They all have to do
with making information machine readable and thereby reduce the time and
effort to the scientist.

Proper metadata (ie, more advanced UCDs): columns can be described
better (eg, Radius at SurfaceBrightness=25th mag/sq arcsec in B-band).
Describe resources better (eg, a table of all stars down to V=16th mag
in Globular Clusters within 5 Kpc and with > 10^6 stars). Describe
datacenters better (eg., V and I-band images and color-magnitude tables
and diagrams of galaxies within 5 Mpc and cz < 500).

Hunting for data: Make use of subclasses of query object (ie., when you
ask for class A you get back anything that has been cataloged as a
subclass of A) (eg, query to all relevant data centers for late-type
spiral galaxies with cz< 10000 and are in clusters and that have I-band
and X-ray data and inclination > 45 deg that have AGN within 1 degree.
This should finds an SBc galaxy that is near a Seyfert even though no
mention is made of the term galaxy in the SBc's metadata nor of AGN in
the Seyfert's metadata).

Hunting for operations/transformation: Unit conversions, coordinate
transformations, physical relationships (eg, With a bunch of data on a
cluster, use whatever relevant relationships to provide distance
measurements to this cluster.  So use TF-relationship on spirals, use
Dn-sigma on ellipticals, use 10th brightest galaxy, provide distance
measurements of other researchers but exclude Hubble relationship
distances).

Classification: From a catalog of coarsely classified objects add  finer
classification (eg, Start with Sloan catalog with just objects
classified as star, galaxy and output A3-pec star, Sd/Irr, etc
classification) (eq, provide all possible classes for this object which
is an outlier on my (V-B, J-V) color-color diagram, include extinction
in the range Av < 2).

Direct Query on Ontology: Ontology can provide summed knowledge of
properties of objects, so one can gain familiarity on objects outside
your expertise (eg, What are the differences between a Globular Cluster
and an Open Cluster?).  Or through ontology plus data search (eg., What
is the maximum number of stars in any Open Cluster?)

Please, others should add their favorite use cases as well.

Ed