Volute: vocabularies repository

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 15:03:46 PST 2007

Hello folks.

I floated the idea, a while back, of creating a shared repository to
host the detailed vocabularies work.  I've now done this, at Google
Code, and I've imported into that the current (pretty alpha) state of
the Note draft and the SKOS vocabularies.

At <http://volute.googlecode.com> I've set up a Subversion repository
and a commit list.  Anyone can check out the code read-only; anyone
who wants to write to it need only send me their google login name
and I'll add them to the list.

What's there is the current state of the document, and SKOS versions
of the A&A, AOIM, UCD and IVOAT vocabularies.  The first three are
from Alasdair, the last is from Rick (I know Rick also has a UCD
vocabulary: I put in Alasdair's because it was geographically nearer,
and I'll let Rick and Alasdair sort out what to do next).  There's no
mapping stuff there at present -- Alasdair's working on this, and
working with the SKOS folk currently developing that component of the
standard.

There's a README at the top which should indicate what to do to build
the whole lot from scratch.  If you just want to look at the built
version, then you can download a v0.01 release from <http://
volute.googlecode.com/files/ivoa-vocab-0.01.tar.gz>.

The commits list is volute-commits at googlegroups.com <http://
groups.google.com/group/volute-commits>; I can very easily add a
discussion list if anyone's interested.  It'd probably be a very good
idea to have a discussion list, to keep minutiae off the
semantics at ivoa list.

It's only the vocabularies work that's here right now, obviously.
However I've structured what's there so that the same repository can
be used for any trans-IVOA/inter-project work needing a repository,
which is otherwise a bit of a fuss to set up.

A little while I suggested:

>     30 Nov: shared project set up and populated with at least WD text
>     7 Dec: some SKOS-generating code in the repository, and a set
> of technical issues/disagreements identified
>     19 Dec: loose agreement on technical issues, and a first
> version of a WD document with normative SKOS appendices released to
> the IVOA documents process from the shared repository

I think we're not too far adrift from that.

Now, back to arguing about plurals...

Norman