VOEvent ontology use cases

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 03:21:22 PDT 2005

> Do we have any use cases for a voevent ontology?

The one I was thinking of at the VOTech DS5 meeting in Leicester this past
February is to first build a plausible VOEvent ontology and then construct
a software agent that could be released against a set of test datasets to
see if the ontology can be used to identify events and chuck them into a
catalogue. The specific case I would like to implement will look at a
month's worth of TRACE or SOHO CDS / MDI / EIT and see if the ontology /
agent combination can identify solar flares.

Before anyone asks, no, at the moment I don't have a clue how to do this.
:) However, the Gene Ontology group seems to be using their ontology to do a
similar (ish) kind of thing - gene samples can be analyzed in conjunction
with the Gene Ontology to see what components, functions, and larger
gene-groups any given gene in the sample has. If anyone is interested in
reading more about this, there are many links to research, papers, and
software from http://www.geneontology.org.

cheers,
Elizabeth