Back to focus RE: More obscure analogies

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Tue Jun 7 05:21:02 PDT 2005

Tony

> Maybe we should rename this group the 'VO Philosophy' IG? :)

Count me out ... seriously I apologize for having contributing to lead the debate astray.
For my defense : I was not alone :))

> We need to focus on what the voevent ontology will be *used* for
> and then look at the entities and relationships we need to define for that.

Agreed - the rest of this message tries to be re-focused on technical stuff

Out of all recent brainstorming, I guess there is some sort of agreement on the following
needed entities. First independently of the VOEvent data format, which is the support for
information exchange about those entities.

- "Data Packet" : Set of data gathered under some identified, homogeneous conditions,
including instrumentation, experimental protocol, team, format of data, date/location ...
Seems that each VOEvent includes at least one Data Packet (not sure if it's exactly one,
or one or more).

- "Interpretation" : Assertion of a n-ary relationship between
	One or more Data Packet
	One or more associated Event
	One or more associated Object
	One or more Hypothesis
	One or more Author

Cardinalities are open to discussion ...

Interpretation has an unique ID
More properties can be added, like "Quality", and an open list of relationships with other
interpretations such as consistentWith, inconsistentWith, supportedBy, validatedBy,
refutedBy ...

- "Event" : More or less transient phenomenum (limited interval of time), defined in a
space-time framework. Event has an unique ID and at most one asserted type. Event types
are defined and maintained in specific vocabularies by relevant authorities, or as
subclasses of "Event" (two options worth considering).
Example : GRB, SN, Solar Flare, Star Crisis ...

- "Object" : More or less permanent space-like entity
Object has an unique ID and at most one asserted type. Same remarks as for "Event".
Example : Planet, Star, Galaxy ...

Note that since "Event" and "Object" have a proper life and identity, new Interpretation
can be added at any time to the same Event, using the same or other Data Packet.

Different Interpretation can link the same Data Packet to different Events or Objects, and
associate the same Event to different Object, different Hypothesis, etc So this kind of
model will support the following kind of queries :

- Find hypothesis about an event X, matching data collected by instrument Y, using format
Z ...
- Find events of type A associated with an object O ...
- Find all Interpretation of Data Packet D, where associated object is O ...
- Find all Interpretation associated with event X, consistentWith, or inconsistentWith,
Interpretation I.

Note that for the last one, certainly the most interesting use case, the result of the
query may use declared inconsistencies or inferred ones (based on e.g. conflicting
associated object or event type).

And so on.

Now the question is to clarify which type of entity, and how many of them is/are attached
to a single VOEvent (defined here as an XML document). I would tend to think that a
VOEvent corresponds exactly to one Interpretation. That sounds too good to be true.  What
do you think?

Bernard