VEP-015: relationship_type#References

Henneken, Edwin ehenneken at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 5 14:15:35 CET 2024

I agree with Anne. In their Metadata Schema 4.5 document, DataCite uses
pretty much the same language for "References" as proposed here

DataCite Definition: indicates B is used as a source of information for A

So, yes, you could use it for "cited-reference" if you wish.

DataCite provides a nice page on the use of the relationship types Cited,
IsCitedBy, References and IsReferenceBy:
https://support.datacite.org/docs/contributing-citations-and-references

But, due to its more general nature, I think using "Cited" is to be
preferred over "References" when the relationship is for a
"citation-reference".

>From the ADS point of view, if we get metadata for a work to be indexed and
it has a RelatedIdentifier section, we don't want to be guessing what the
precise meaning/role of a specific relationType is; different values
for relationType
result in different actions within the ADS indexing workflow.

All the best
Edwin

*Edwin Henneken *(he | him | his)

NASA Astrophysics Data System

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

60 Garden Street | MS 83 | Cambridge, MA 02138

ads.harvard.edu | @adsabs <https://twitter.com/adsabs> | *ui.adsabs.harvard.edu
<https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/>*

*cfa.harvard.edu <https://cfa.harvard.edu/>* | Facebook
<http://cfa.harvard.edu/facebook> | Twitter <http://cfa.harvard.edu/twitter>