VEP-015: relationship_type#References

gilles landais gilles.landais at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Mar 5 15:10:11 CET 2024

Hi everyone,

"references" was a VizieR proposal to replace the deprecated ivoa term
"related-to" (eg:
https://cds.unistra.fr/registry/?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo://cds.vizier/J/AJ/161/36).
VizieR uses "related-to" on a catalogue to list VizieR datasets which
was attached to articles cited by the catalogue reference article (the
"See also" section in VizieR ReadMe file).

This list of resources is not really a list of citation (but a "citation
by rebounds" ...). It is why we used the term "related-to" (and we liked
it). That's an option, provided for discoverability reasons.
(Note that this VizieR list is provided only in its VO registry record
but not in its DOI metadata)

If you think, "references" is not adapted for this VizieR use case (and
according to the DataCite definition, it seems that it is not)  we can
remove this list or keep "related-to".

(Note: In fact, I don't like "Cites" because in DataCite API "Cites"
relation increases the datacite statistics (curl
https://api.datacite.org/dois/{DOI}))

Thank for your advises,

with best,
Gilles Landais (CDS)