Draft note on STC in the Registry

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 17 10:58:42 CET 2018

Dear colleagues,

Those who attended our session in Shanghai may remember my talk on
how we can finally get proper STC queries against the Registry --
http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2017-Reg/reg-stc.pdf

I've finally done the various implementation parts to try everything
out in DaCHS and the relational registry (at this point, it's only on
the Heidelberg mirror, since harvesting the MOCs is quite a bit of
pain).

Based on that experience, I'd now propose a roadmap for how we could
move towards more-or-less universal declaration of coverages in
space, time, and spectrum for the VO Registry.  I've drafted
a Note that I'd like to upload to the document repository -- probably
some time next week unless you want more time for discussions.

A draft of the note is available from
http://docs.g-vo.org/regstcnote.pdf, the sources (that you're welcome
to work on) are in volute at
https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/registry/regstcnote
-- this includes a copy of the modified VODataService schema that
will later be part of the upload.

After this, I'd be grateful if you (yes, you!) could

(a) briefly review the thing to and protest quickly if you strongly
disagree with the main points of the note?  Ideally, I'd like the
note to represent the "rough consensus" that's traditionally half of
the RFC process (the other part being "running code").

(b) perhaps look a bit deeper at the stuff if you're interested a bit
more in the registry/STC borderline.  If you still feel comfortable
with the note then, I'd be happy to include you on the author list.
I feel a bit odd being the only author on something fairly
wide-reaching, and certainly some of you out there had important
roles in shaping what's written there during the past six years or so
(yeah: according to RegTAP WD-20121112, it removed a first version of
this...).  So: If you can see your name on this note, just drop me a
note, and don't be shy or overly modest.

Thanks,

            Markus