Draft note on STC in the Registry

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 14:34:51 CET 2018

Markus,

I've got one comment at the moment on this, relating to representation
and serialization of MOCs outside of the MOC1.0-endorsed
FITS serialization.

You suggest in this document using the ASCII serialization mentioned
(but not presented as a normalised part of the specification) in
section 3.1 of the MOC 1.0 specification for representing MOC content
inline in (a) the proposed <spatial> element and (b) VOTable output.
That would work.

But for VOTable serialization at least, I think a
more natural serialization is as an array of integers
(e.g. <FIELD name="coverage" datatype="int" arraysize="*"/>).
Using the NUNIQ encoding described in sec 2.3.1 of MOC 1.0,
a MOC can be represented simply as a sequence of integers
(>=16-bit for order<=6, >=32-bit for order<=13, >=64-bit for order<=29).
The standardised FITS representation doesn't add much magic to that,
and the non-standard ASCII representation just makes it more
human-readable.
In VOTables, an array-valued integer-typed cell can efficiently
(for BINARY/2 serialization anyway) store MOCs in this form,
and it should(?) be more straightforward for clients to ingest.
A suitable xtype would still help with the representation here
(does that really have to be in DALI?  It seems like sense to
allow external standards to define their own xtypes, though
endorsing it in DALI when a new version is being produced would
be no bad thing).

The case for using a list of integers may not be quite so
compelling in the case of the proposed VOResource coverage/spatial
element you propose.

What do you think?

Mark