Use Cases for new Registry search interface

Pierre Le Sidaner pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Mon Jun 6 06:51:17 PDT 2011

Le 06/06/2011 12:28, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear RWGers,
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:40:38AM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 2011-05 -23, at 19:05, Ray Plante wrote:
>>> At Naples during our future directions discussion, we talked about a new
>>> Registry search interface, and there was a call to collect use cases and
>>> requirements.  This includes collecting the kinds of queries we would like
>>> to be able make and process easily.
>> that page seems like a pretty good summary to me.
>>
>> One complaint that we have often heard with the simple "keyword"
>> style searches is that different registries ended up giving
>> different answers - I think that this is probably a consequence of
> Coming back from vacation, I've added some comments to the wiki page
> and added what I think Paul's point are in two places -- so, Paul, if
> I misrepresented you, sorry.
>
> Executive summary of my changes:
>
> I'd really like to see a TAP/ADQL interface to searchable registries,
> but we shouldn't forget that there is OAI-PMH and VOSI.  We may want
> some IR/Text-Searching user defined function if we go ahead and use
> ADQL as the query language.  And, we really should keep XML
> (unfortunately XSD-defined) as the primary format of VO resource
> records, if only for interoperability with other bibliographic
> engines.
>
> Cheers,
>
>           Markus

I don't realy see the point, why tap ADQL to the registry ?
There is actualy two method : search and keyword search.
 From my point of view, searching in the registry has nothing to do with
searching in a data service. The complexity of ADQL make only the job
much more complex to implement.
We should realy think of a search method in the registry based on very
limited SQL (LIKE, WHERE, AND , OR) inside a search and keyword search.
maintaining XML schema will allow xml databases or mixed one (Postgresql
including xpath).
Pushing TAP to that will increase much more the implementation
complexity for no real useful feature.

                            Pierre Le Sidaner
                         Observatoire de Paris

Division Informatique de l'Observatoire
Observatoire Virtuel 01 40 51 20 89
61, avenue de l'Observatoire 75014 Paris

mailto:pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
http://vo-web.obspm.fr