Use Cases for new Registry search interface

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 6 07:14:10 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Pierre Le Sidaner wrote:
> I don't realy see the point, why tap ADQL to the registry ?

Personally, I have not formed a strong opinion on this, yet, but I do see
a motivation.  In a VO where both server and client libraries are
ubiquitous, it's not unreasonable to want a TAP interface to the registry.

For example, Topcat recently added support for pulling data from TAP
services.  If the registry had a TAP service, it would be trivial for
Topcat to also use it to find TAP services.

It's also worth pointing out that a TAP interface would satisfy a key
requirement requested by app developers: ability to request a few
selected pieces of information--that is, what the select clause gives you.

I will note that in my initial write-up, I did not explicitly mention TAP
as a requirment.  Rather, I would rather this choice either flow directly
from requirements or from requests from apps developers.