[obs-tap] Data Rights

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Sun Apr 17 16:22:40 PDT 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Petr Skoda wrote:

> ---------------------------------------
> Now practical issues:
>
> If I take the definition from VODS
> a) public is what was original idea of VO - all is accessible
>
> b)secure: authenticated, public access is allowed
>
> c) proprietary: only proprietary access is allowed with authentication.
>
> as I understand secure means that access is not provided from the tools
> immediately, but first I have to register somewhere and than I will get the
> data (the question is how to acchive this in all VO tools )
> Is it this the model of Astrogrod VOdesktop (OK I can get the community
> access easily), but in the strict way it is the proprietary - as I am member
> of some closed community to be able to access the CEA catalogs ..
>
> proprietary - the strictly limitted community only access (e.g. PI and their
> collaborators.
>
> Well - is the secure just limitted to secure protocol or the ownership of a
> given key or the free membership in given community?

It seems straightforward enough to me.  Public is open access, no
authentication.  Proprietary means only authorized persons can access
the data.  Secure means the data is available to anyone, but requires
a login (e.g. ESO; hopefully in the future via a VO SSO protocol).
VO and IVOA/IAU policy by the way is to discourage requiring "secure" access
except for proprietary data.

So far as the metadata goes, at least "secure" seems a bit better
defined than "mixed".

 	- Doug