[obs-tap] Data Rights

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Wed Apr 6 02:50:33 PDT 2011

>> if I check in SSA1.1 I find only a short sentence, considering 2 values:
>> public/proprietary
>
> Ok; I guess we should take the more recent VODataService as overriding
> the Resource Metadata specification upon which SSA/Spectrum were based.

Hi

concerning the formal side of the definition I think we should follow the
VODATAService as

1) generic description of what can be found in VO (in
fact the registry search is the beginning  of any VO reasearch (but to be
honest I do not yet well understand how this should work with ObsTAP in
details see .. below)

2) the one of the most logical options - but still I think there are some
issues to solve:

so yes adopt the VODATAService in all (so the SDM will be updates as well
? - I would suggest it)
---------------------------------------
Now practical issues:

If I take the definition from VODS
a) public is what was original idea of VO - all is accessible

b)secure: authenticated, public access is allowed

c) proprietary: only proprietary access is allowed with authentication.

as I understand secure means that access is not provided from the tools
immediately, but first I have to register somewhere and than I will get
the data (the question is how to acchive this in all VO tools )
Is it this the model of Astrogrod VOdesktop (OK I can get the community
access easily), but in the strict way it is the proprietary - as I am
member of some closed community to be able to access the CEA catalogs ..

proprietary - the strictly limitted community only access (e.g. PI and
their collaborators.

Well - is the secure just limitted to secure protocol or the ownership of
a given key or the free membership in given community?

I think we should open the discussion about the limitted VO access in
Naples as I think the time came for it now and we (VO promoters) are often
facing the question of people having fear of giving their results
"cheaply" - I think it is connected with proper curation description
(acknowledgements ....)

And there are more subtle issues (practical):

1) VO compatible archive which is not accesible outside of some
closed network - but I can describe the data in a journal and may be the
registry record referring to some table of Journal (e.g. Vizier
description of  spectra after pipeline processing)

2) private archive of data contents but with free metadata access

3) public archive with subset of record protected (I can get metadata
about the observation/processing but not the contents - e.g. the shape of
spectra)

4) problem with planet hunters - the nightmare of precise echelle spectra
archives:

The spectra (ligh curves ...)  may be published - but part of METADATA
(coordinates, time ) HIDDEN.

Example I can search for spectrum of boring K star using the TARGETNAME
query (e.g. COROT-XXXXX, KEPLER-YYYYY) but I cannot use coordinates search
and sometimes even the TIME (say I can have date but UT is 00:00:00 )

How to describe that such a collection is "public" but with restricted
rights to access for metadata ...

registry x ObsTAP issue - as I did not yet received answer to question
asked in last mail - should we use ObsTAP to query Vizier and/or other
electronic attachments of journal publication?
If no - what kind of synergy will exist between ObsTAP and Vizer search ?

(I have added the registry WG hoping to rise the attention, although I am
not reading the list )

*  Petr Skoda                         Tel   : (323) 649201, l. 361      *
*  Stelarni oddeleni                          (323) 620361              *
*  Astronomicky ustav AVCR, v.v.i     Fax   : (323) 620250              *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Ceska republika                                                      *