Capability extension for describing whole sky maps

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu May 20 14:10:23 PDT 2010

It seems to me that there are three things being combined here:

    All-sky data
    Hierarchical imaging
    HEALPix projection

The first and last don't seem particularly special to me: many surveys have
had all-sky coverage for a long time.  Nor does HEALPix seem particularly different.
It's just another projection, albeit one that a lot of software does not yet
support.  What strikes me as distinctive for the new Aladin service is the
hierarchical imaging, which I don't think is well described in our current framework.

So I think that's the element I'd emphasize rather than HEALPix which I see as a detail
in a particular implementation.  E.g., WWT proides a similar service using the TOAST
projection and I believe GoogleSky does the same using a Cartesian projection (or maybe
even Mercator).

	Regards,
	Tom