Capability extension for describing whole sky maps

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 20 17:42:18 PDT 2010

Le 20/05/2010 23:10, Tom McGlynn a écrit :
> It seems to me that there are three things being combined here:
>
>    All-sky data
>    Hierarchical imaging
>    HEALPix projection
>
> The first and last don't seem particularly special to me: many surveys
> have
> had all-sky coverage for a long time.  Nor does HEALPix seem
> particularly different.
> It's just another projection, albeit one that a lot of software does
> not yet
> support.  What strikes me as distinctive for the new Aladin service is
> the
> hierarchical imaging, which I don't think is well described in our
> current framework.

Tom, stop me if I'm wrong but neither HTM nor HEALPix are projections, but
hierarchical sky division. The projection used for displaying the map is another
thing.
If this sky division is specified in the registry (HTM + some parameters or
HEALPix + some parameters, or...), anybody will be able to build a client for
accessing any cells of this hierarchical sky resource. I do not describe more
the framework only because it seems for me not required. If you have the ID of a
cell (in HTM a triangle, in HEALpix a diamond), you know by construction the sky
coordinates of their corners. It is enough for displaying  it in the client with
the projection of your choice.

I will not try to convince VO people for using one unique sky division, but just
have a way to describe the sky division used by a hierarchical sky server such
as CDS one (Healpix), Microsoft one (HTM/TOAST) or Google one (?) (if they want
to offer an free access).

Cheers
Pierre