Capability extension for describing whole sky maps

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 20 12:35:40 PDT 2010

Dear registry members,

As I presented Tuesday 18 May during the App session at Victoria
interop, I was suggesting an extension of the "capability" section for
describing whole sky maps/surveys (for those who do not follow this
talk, here the pdf -
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2010Applications/AladindemonstrationInteropVictoria2010.pdf).
Do you think that it is a good idea. And if yes, may you help me for
describing it properly in the schema of the registry.

Here is my draft :

<capability xsi:type= "SimpleAllSkyAccess">
<interface type="HEALPIXmap">
<accessURL use="base">http://..</accessURL>
<HEALPix>
<frame>Gal</frame>
<tileFormat>FITS</tileFormat>
<treeDepth>12</treeDepth>
</HEALPix>
</interface>
</capability>

type : HEALPIXmap, HTMmap,... = sky tessellation method
frame : GAL, ECL, EQU  = tessellation reference frame
titleFormat : FITS, PNG, JPG .... = image format for individual tile
treeDepth: number = hierarchical depth (in Healpix = Norder, or log2(NSIDE))

This kind of "SimpleAllSkyAccess" resource may be queried just by tile
ID as parameter. For Healpix it is a couple : Norder/npixNumber. For HTM
it will be the triangle ID...

http://base.adresse..cgi?tile=ID

With this very simple interface, any body should be able to build a
client for displaying this kind of resources.

Thanks
Pierre Fernique