VODataService becoming WD, then PR

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 06:45:47 PST 2008

On 2008-11 -17, at 06:10, Ray Plante wrote:

> Dear RWG,
>
> The VODataService specification document can now, we believe,  be
> considered complete and is available from the VODataService twiki page
> (http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VODataService).
> After finishing a last final reread, I will be posting it as an
> official Working Draft.  Soon after that, it will be promoted to a
> PR, and the official RFC will begin.
>
> Because of the rapid turnaound from Working Draft to Proposed
> Recommendation, I urge co-authors, registry providers and the other
> interested parties to look it over prior to PR.
>
> thanks,
> Ray Plante
> Regristry Working Group chair

Hi,

I have one immediate issue with the latest version of the
VODataService schema/specification. I think that the table description
should contain an explicit definition of how to specify foreign keys
that define the relations between tables - these relations are, after
all, fundamental to the way that the relational databases function,
and it is impossible to do a multi-table query without this
information. Whilst I can see that the <relationalJoin> definition was
rather clumsy, I think that it is possible to come up with something
much simpler - e.g an optional fkey attribute on a TableParam that
points to the primary key by using the "table.column" syntax for the
attribute value.

A human might be able to work out what the foreign keys are by reading
the descriptions of each TableParam, but a machine could not, and even
for a human this is sometimes difficult for large schema - you only
need to look at Sloan http://cas.sdss.org/astrodr7/en/help/docs/realquery.asp
  to see how often joins are used in useful queries on real databases.

Cheers,
	Paul.

Dr. Paul Harrison
JBCA, Manchester University