Minutes from Registry Provider Telecon

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 10 04:47:06 PDT 2008

Hi RWGers,

On Monday, we had our Registry Provider Telecons; here are the minutes.
The most significant result is that we set April 21, 2008 as the official
start of operations for v1.0 registries across the IVOA.

We held two telecons on Monday, 7 April, one for each hemisphere.  In
attendance in the at the 1300 UTC were:
    Kevin Benson (AstroGrid)
    Sebastien Derriere (CDS)
    Gretchen Greene (NVO; STScI)
    Bob Hanisch (NVO; STScI)
    Ray Plante (NVO; NCSA)
    Michael Preciado (NVO; HEASARC)
    Aurelien Stebe (EuroVO; ESAC)

In attendance at the 2300 UTC were:
    Matthew Graham (NVO; Caltech)
    Ray Plante (NVO; NCSA)
    Ed Shaya (NVO; UMd)
    Yuji Shirasaki (JVO)

Each provider reviewed the status of their upgrade efforts; here is a
summary:
   o  The publishing registries that are ready to go now are listed in the
      RofR at http://rofr.ivoa.net/

   o  The following registries expect to be in the RofR within the next 2
      weeks:
         +  NVO registry at STScI
         +  CDS registry (including the Vizier catalogs)
         +  JVO registry

   o  The ESAC registry is expected to be ready in 1-2 months.  It has been
      designated as the official registry of the Euro-VO project; thus,
      upgrading this registry has been given high priority within that
      project.

   o  AstroGrid, as of its recent public product release, is officially
      using v1.0 registries already.  For resources from registries that
      are not yet available in v1.0 format, they have harvested the old
      format resources, converted them themselves, and cached the results.

We agreed to set a date of April 21 as the official start of v1.0
operations.  This will give several weeks of experience before Trieste;
allowing us to discuss any issues that arise.  Other registries
(including ESAC) will come on-line as they complete their upgrade; their
integration should be transparent once they are entered into the RofR.

There was some discussion of discussion topics for Trieste, including a
suggestion about future support for a VOTable format response from
registry queries.

thanks to all who attended and are working to meet our April 21 deadline.