Alternative proposal

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Fri May 11 02:13:34 PDT 2007

On 11.05.2007, at 00:44, Robert Hanisch wrote:

> I _think_ things are going in a reasonable direction, but if I
> agree with
> Tony there must be something wrong.  ;-)

Despite all the noise I think things are actually very little changed
from before....or that is the impression I am getting i.e. it is
still legal in the registry to have a "fine-grained" view or not, so
clients will need to pick their registry carefully.

the only issues are that

  1. we do not have a standardized way of finding out the "fine-
grained" metadata across all service types.
  2. there needs to be a complication to the harvesting mechanism to
avoid harvesting "fine-grained" metadata (and it is not at all clear
what is meant by "fine-grained").

> I think we need the current level of resource metadata, as defined
> in the RM
> document.  Anita was in accord with this.  This is core, and is
> sufficient
> for discovery, location, and access.  This is what it was intended
> to do.

I dispute that the core metadata are sufficient for access. In fact
that is the nub of this whole "fine-grained" argument. The proposal
for TAP is that you have to ask the service for more metadata before
you can actually access the data.

> Tony said that a registry of core metadata would be of " little use to
> scientists or applications."  Perhaps we are talking about
> different cores,
> but based on what we have now, I most vehemently disagree.  When we
> have
> properly populated, well curated resource metadata we have a
> tremendous
> asset for astronomers and applications, and we have already built a
> number
> of useful applications based on this.

By core I think that he means the metadata that are formally
contained within the VOResorce.xsd schema. They are sufficient for
searching human readable descriptions of the data, so that they are a
great resource for finding out what is available - "find all the TAP
services", but not for making a distinction between the services
"find all TAP services with a redshift column".  Intriguingly the
current draft of VODataService-v1.0.xsd extension schema does have
structures to register the basic TAP fine-grained metadata that would
allow the second query.

> Anita, what I meant when I said that "the simple stuff is not done
> well or
> completely" is that resource providers don't do a very good job of
> entering
> metadata.  They have poor tools (our fault), astronomer-unfriendly
> documentation (our fault), and are well-intentioned (usually) and
> lazy (not
> our fault).  As a result, relevant resources are not always found, and
> irrelevant resources show up (e.g., something claims to be a SIAP
> service
> but it is not).  I came across many many situations like this
> during an
> intense period of testing ~2 months ago.  Our resource metadata is
> in poor
> shape.  Resource and service providers, I found, were eager to fix
> things
> once they were aware of the problems.  But reviewing and testing
> all of this
> is very labor intensive.

Indeed if the software components and the data already exist, the
only work left is to define the metadata properly, and we are all
agreed that it is an arduous job. However, part of the motivation for
suggesting the VOSI is that then the service "owns" the metadata - it
becomes central and integrated into the functioning of the service,
and even better if the service writers can be persuaded to configure
the service itself using the same metadata - then the registry
description of  and the functioning of the service can never out of
line - CEA takes this approach.

Cheers,
	Paul.

p.s. As an amusing aside, this hit the German news recently (http://
www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2483499,00.html) - nothing to do
with metadata, but it illustrates the problems of a big data
reconstruction effort where the computers do the mind-numbingly
tedious part before the humans do the clever bit - which is sort of
what we want the VO to achieve. The analogy with the registry
functionality is that with the current registry, you can find all the
pieces of paper that  belong on the same page, but it does not fit
them together.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org