Alternative proposal

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu May 10 16:44:38 PDT 2007

I agree that the emphasis must be on making simple things simple and
correct. Once we have a community of stakeholders from the astronomy
community, we can enrich the structure.

My experience from earlier lives is that complex software infrastructure
often fails. During development and deployment, users find other ways to
get what they want. Simple tools for simple jobs can be allowed to grow
organically. How do I find out which image services can deliver cutouts?
How do I see how galaxies look in these two surveys? Why doesn't this
advertised service actually run?

Here is my take on metadata distribution. Yes the service or service
provider is the original source. In real life, I have this relationship
with several registries. There is a way for me to change my data by
request (i.e. publishing interface), and there can also be request
notices to fill in current information (i.e. getCapabilities). If these
requests are ignored, then the old data is assumed correct.

Roy