question on Identify

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu May 25 07:51:15 PDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

While responding to the question about getRegistry(), I was looking over
the text of section 3.1.5 which discusses the OAI Identify operation.
Though I suspect I wrote this text, I have to say I don't understand the
3rd sentence of the first paragraph (regarding oai:baseURL) and the note
that follows.  Do you?

In the OAI spec, the oai:baseURL is supposed to be the base URL for the
"traditional" (HTTP GET) OAI interface.  How are we supposed to get the
HTTP GET endpoint from the Web Service endpoint?  (Particularly if the Web
Service interface is optional?)

Barring some explanation, I would suggest the we change this to say that
the oai:baseURL to be exactly what the OAI spec requires--i.e. it point to
the HTTP GET endpoint.  I can recommend some text.

Also, I don't see any text that says whether the Web Service version is
required or optional.  What was our decision in the end?