heasarc oai not correct XML

Sebastien Derriere derriere at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Mar 22 07:50:29 PST 2006

KevinBenson wrote:

> Sorry Ray forgot to put the url.  Yes I am quite flexible let it
> through.  My problem is check out the url in your browser:
> http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/OAI/XMLFile/nvo/oai.pl?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor
>
> I have not checked exactly where it is, but it is not a well-formed
> document so that is why I could not harvest it.  I think I pasted below
> the error message that IE gave me from the browser, Mozilla just says
> not well-formed document.

  Hello,

  I have missed the starting point of the discussion, but I take the
opportunity to ask what kind of tools do registry developers use to
test and validate their interfaces and documents?
  For validating OAI interfaces and check that they support the
protocol, I used http://re.cs.uct.ac.za/  which shows some errors
when trying to validate the document returned for the resource you
discuss:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/OAI/XMLFile/nvo/oai.pl?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo%3A%2F%2Fnasa.heasarc%2Fskyview%2F408mhz

  The validation of the link Kevin gives just fails because the
XML is not well-formed (as Guy already pointed out, due to entity
&#176 without a closing semicolon).

  I've noticed that there is now a problem with the <date> element
in VizieR resources, and I don't understand why this is not valid:

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/registry/vizier/oai_v0.10.pl?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo%3A%2F%2FCDS%2Fvizier%2FI%2F239%2Fhip_main

[Error] re.Fz9cL9:26:56: cvc-datatype-valid.1.2.1:
'1998-09-23T17:36:35Z' is not a valid value for 'date'.

<date role="creation">1998-09-23T17:36:35Z</date>

  If I read the schemas correctly, the element <date>
in VOResource-v0.10.xsd has type vr:Date, which extends
xs:date. And as stated in the Resource Metadata recommendation,
"ISO8601 is the preferred format". And W3C xs namespace also
leads to http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime so I don't
understand where the validation error comes from!
  I had no such error in the past. Is this a bug on the validation
engine or a change in the IVOA schemas?

  For validating XML documents, I used this web site which has
now closed service: http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate.html
So I now use the W3C form: http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv
It also chokes on the previous <date> element...

  And with every IVOA schemas, there are errors like this:
Attempt to load a schema document from
http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOMetadata/v0.1
 (source: new namespace) for
   http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOMetadata/v0.1,
    failed: couldn't open

  due to the fact that there is no such document. I know this
has already been discussed
( http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0501/1223.htm )
but we might just create a dummy schema for VOMetadata/v0.1 ,
as a placeholder to avoid validation problems?

  Cheers,

Sebastien.
--
    _______
   /  ~   /, Sebastien Derriere   mailto:derriere at astro.u-strasbg.fr
  / ~~~~ //  Observatoire de Strasbourg    Phone +33 (0) 390 242 444
 /______//   11, rue de l'universite     Telefax +33 (0) 390 242 417
(______(/    F-67000 Strasbourg  France