new RI document

Aurelien Stebe Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Mon Jun 12 09:24:02 PDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

I reviewed the doc and here are a few comments :

- Should we write in the RI that the "Search" and "KeywordSearch"
methods must return only "active" (and maybe "inactive") resources ? I
don't think "deleted" resources should be returned in a search, they
should be when using the harvest interface. Of course, "GetResource"
would return the resource whatever the status is.

- Two small questions to make the "from" and "to" search parameters
clearer : are Registries allowed to return less resources than asked ?
If the user wants "from=1" and "to=1000", may I return only 500 entries
because that's my Registry limit ? and is the "to" parameter inclusive
or not (really a detail, but well ...).

- Should we allow for Strings search in KeywordSearch ? I mean allow the
user to search for "black hole" without having it separated into 2
words. We could write that expressions enclosed in double quotes must be
treated as one unique word.

- Two small typos : in the list of metadata to search in 2.3 the last
one is missing "content" -> "content/type". Also, namespaces prefixes
should be deleted to be consistent. In 2.4 : "IVOA searchable registries
can optionally implement the GetResource ....". Isn't it a compulsory
method ?

- In 2.6 : I don't think the VOSI should be mentioned here since it is
not a Rec yet. It puts a dependence on the RI for passing to Rec level.
If a "getRegistration" is needed in the future it might come along with
the VOSI, or we might add it to the Search interface of RI v1.1  . If it
is needed now, it should be in the Search interface of the RI v1.0  .

- In 3.1.1 : "ListRecords : [....] ,as well as the resources of the
Registry type. [....]" . I guess this is from previous versions of the
RI. The "ListRecords" used with "set=ivo_managed" should return managed
entries and those only. Also, it should be written that if no "set" is
specified, ALL records will be returned (or is it obvious ?)

Other than that, I think it is pretty much ready for PR. The Registry
extension schema will need to be attached, as we decided each
specification is responsible for providing the schema extension. I
didn't read the WSDLs, but I guess we will only need to check those
later, to make sure they reflect the doc.

Cheers,
Aurelien