new RI document

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 13 08:03:54 PDT 2006

Excellent stuff Aurelien thanks for your comments.  Ray also sent me
back a doc with some changes, I will place your comments/changes to that
document and try to put a new version up tomorrow afternoon.  I put some
of your answers to your questions below.

cheers,
Kevin

Aurelien Stebe wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I reviewed the doc and here are a few comments :
>
> - Should we write in the RI that the "Search" and "KeywordSearch"
> methods must return only "active" (and maybe "inactive") resources ? I
> don't think "deleted" resources should be returned in a search, they
> should be when using the harvest interface. Of course, "GetResource"
> would return the resource whatever the status is.
Hmmm I can't quite remember what we discussed a long time ago about
Search(ADQL) and KeywordSearch returning only active entries.  I could
easily go either way.  What do other people think in the reg list? Or
maybe Aurelien if you want post it as a separate thread on the reg list.

> - Two small questions to make the "from" and "to" search parameters
> clearer : are Registries allowed to return less resources than asked ?
> If the user wants "from=1" and "to=1000", may I return only 500
> entries because that's my Registry limit ? and is the "to" parameter
> inclusive or not (really a detail, but well ...).
Yes you can return less than what the client asks for, I thought it was
in the RI spec, but maybe it got deleted.  The "to" is optional and does
not have to be with the "from".

> - Should we allow for Strings search in KeywordSearch ? I mean allow
> the user to search for "black hole" without having it separated into 2
> words. We could write that expressions enclosed in double quotes must
> be treated as one unique word.
Yes I can see what your saying might make the RI spec a little more
confusing to put in a couple of exceptions, but I could see it being
useful.  What do other people think?

> - Two small typos : in the list of metadata to search in 2.3 the last
> one is missing "content" -> "content/type". Also, namespaces prefixes
> should be deleted to be consistent. In 2.4 : "IVOA searchable
> registries can optionally implement the GetResource ....". Isn't it a
> compulsory method ?
Aha thanks and yes GetResource is required.

> - In 2.6 : I don't think the VOSI should be mentioned here since it is
> not a Rec yet. It puts a dependence on the RI for passing to Rec
> level. If a "getRegistration" is needed in the future it might come
> along with the VOSI, or we might add it to the Search interface of RI
> v1.1  . If it is needed now, it should be in the Search interface of
> the RI v1.0  .
Well I really think we need a getRegistration of some type now.  Either
by dictating the VOSI method (which I now realize we would need to
specify it to be on the same endpoint as the Search)  or by making a new
interface method.  The main reason is a client that needs to see if
XQuery is supported or if it is a full registry or not and needs that
registration entry to determine those abilities.  I am all for placing
"back" a getRegistration entry for our Registries we had it in the very
early versions of the RI, but for some reason we took it out.