applications software metadata

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 03:24:17 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Noel Winstanley wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 00:46, Malapert Jean-Christophe wrote:
> > When you use a library in a software, you want to know if your library
> > is reliable or not. You can see a service as a distant library. Is it
> > possible to include a quality criterion in the resource ? Quality should
> > be given by a validator.
>
> I don't think it's feasible to assess the quality of each resource or
> application - quality is a very slippery, subjective term, as it depends on
> the context that the resource is being used in.

Quite. The only objective measure of quality (of the thing described by the
resource document rather than the document itself) is conformance to a
standard, which is binary. Libraries tend not to have standards.

However, the reg-dm group is working on using the Capability element from
VOResource to describe services and applications and therefore, by extension,
libraries. Capability does have a way of associating a registered thing with
a standard: the resource document can assert that the thing implements the
standard. In this case, validation might be possible.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523