applications software metadata

Noel Winstanley Noel.Winstanley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 03:17:48 PST 2006

Hi,
here's some comments..

Section 3.3
in OperationMode, some other terms could be:
'Plugin'
'Graphical'
maybe 'WebStartable', or something along these lines.

Section 3.4

isn't the 'open source' attribute made redundant by the 'License' element.

Furthermore, maybe the License should be a name, URL reference pair, rather
than an inline description.

cost - again, could be redundant if the License says 'commercial'. I think
describing the purchase cost in the registry isn't a good idea - this is the
bit of information that will most quickly go out of date.

binary size, memory size - if these are typical values, are they going to be
of use to anyone? Minimum size would maybe be better.

Protocols & Formats - could we make these enumerations? If it's free-text it's
going to be very hard to machine-search the registry. - e.g. if the code
needs to find resources that match VOTABLE, VoTable, VO-Table, ...

Finally, there doesn't seem to be a term in the draft that describes how to
download or execute the application. I see 'sourceURL', which I assume links
to the source code. Shouldn't there be a 'downloadURL' too? Or even
'accessURL' for apps that are browser based or webstartable.

cheers
noel.

--
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Main/NoelWinstanley
Senior Java Developer, Astrogrid Project.