Mistakes in registry

Malapert Jean-Christophe malapert at iap.fr
Thu Feb 2 22:50:40 PST 2006

Dear members of the list,

I work as VO software engineer at Observatory of Paris. For two weeks, I
have  been developing a service and I need use registry to know
automatically differents SSA/SIA available.

I have remarked that in the registry there are some mistakes. For
example, sometimes the "?" is missed when the serviceURL has not ARGS
and sometimes the "&" is missed too when ARGS are indicated.

Of course, I can check myself if the serviceURL is valid and add the '?'
or '&' missing in my program. But I consider that if we have a norm
describing well syntax, it is pitty to not use it and to have spent so
time to build a norm which is not respected.

I think that if the syntax is not respected it is because people has not
read the norm before to fill their resource. And we should provide a
validation service as W3C done with HTML/CSS for web pages.

So, I think it is very easy to check some fields like serviceURL. The
other ones, I don't know because I miss some documentation. For example,
I don't know where the different values of ResourceType fields are
defined ? if it is possible to add others ones or not by a user ? I
don't know what is the difference between SIAP, SIAP/ARCHIVE and
SimpleImageAccess ?

What do you think about a validation service ? and someone can answer to
my questions or simply indicate to me URL of reference document treating
about my questions ?

Cheers,
J-Christophe