Mistakes in registry

Nausicaa Delmotte ndelmott at eso.org
Fri Feb 3 00:57:14 PST 2006

Dear members,

Malapert Jean-Christophe wrote the following on 02/03/2006 07:50 AM:

> So, I think it is very easy to check some fields like serviceURL. The
> other ones, I don't know because I miss some documentation. For example,
> I don't know where the different values of ResourceType fields are
> defined ? if it is possible to add others ones or not by a user ?

I'm having some difficulties as well to understand the difference between Type and resourceType.

* Type, according to the VOResource document, is "The nature or genre of the content of the resource."
It is a list of the following keywords: archive, bibliography, catalog, journal, library, simulation, survey,
education, outreach, EPOResource, animation, artwork, background, basicdata, historical,photographic,press,organization,
project,registry,other.

* Then, if you go either to the Astrogrid or the NVO registry, and you want to add a new resource,
the first thing you have to do is to define the resourceType and this time you have to choose within:
resource,organisation,authority,dataCollection,TabularDB,service,registry,skyService,tabularSkyService,coneSearch,
SimpleImageAccess,...
with slight differences between the NVO and Astrogrid lists, but the overall idea is the same.

Hence my questions:
- Has the second list been defined somewhere and is it user-extensible? What is its exact definition?
- There is a kind of overlap between the two lists: see for instance keywords organisation, registry.
Is it intended or are the two lists supposed to be merged in the future?
- I find it misleading to have the second list named 'resourceType' whereas
another list called 'Type' already exists and is by definition the type of the resource.

It seems there is one word to define two different things.

As a suggestion, I would rename resourceType as serviceType to get rid of the ambiguity and make fully clear
that the type in the second list is not refering to the resource but to the service: SSA, SIA, Cone etc.

However, I notice as well that there are some keywords in the second list which are not service-related.
So after all serviceType might not be appropriate here...
A service is a resource but a resource is not necessary a service, right ?

Cheers
Nausicaa