Creator vs Publisher

Noel Winstanley Noel.Winstanley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 05:22:47 PDT 2006

Hi,
In recent versions of AstroGrid Workbench, I've been trying to use
the registry metadata to give credit to the providers of the services
the user is calling
e.g.
- in the application launcher, I display a 'banner advert' at the top
of the window that displays the logo and name of the 'creator'
- in astroscope, the creator logo is used to decorate the service node.

Through doing this, I've found some inconsistencies in the way
resources are registered.

The CDS , heasarc approach is:
creator - The authors of the original paper the table is taken from.
publisher - CDS  or Heasarc

Other publishers provide their detail and logo  in the 'creator' fields

Obviously, 'Smith, Jones, et al' rarely have their own logo.

And yet there's no field within 'publisher' to provide a logo url.
There is the facility to add a 'ivo-id' attribute to the publisher.
But when this attribute exists, and points to a resource that exists,
that resource invariably lacks a logo URL itself.

  Furthermore, doing a cross-reference to another registry resource
to find a url is too costly for large sets of services - i.e. as in
astroscope

I don't know what the correct usage of the creator vs publisher
fields is - maybe this should be elaborated on in the reg spec?

The point I want to make is that I think there's a strong case for
altering the 'publisher' field so that it has the same structure as
the 'creator' field - even though this goes against data-
normalization principles.

cheers
noel.

---
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Main/NoelWinstanley
Senior Java Developer, AstroGrid Project
Jodrell Bank Observatory, University of Manchester