Question: harvesting managed vs. all resource records

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 30 21:31:44 PST 2005

Hi Gang,

Here's the first question from the small list I promised I would bring up.

The question is, would it be useful for the harvesting interface to have
a switch that allows harvesters to choose whether to get all records
versus only thoses that originate from the harvestee?

Currently in our use of the OAI interface, we only emit records that
originated with our particular registry. This keeps harvesters from having
to sort out duplicate records from multiple sources. However, a harvesting
client may be happy to go to a single (full) registry and just grab
everything. Should we allow this latter type of harvesting?

If yes, we could support this using an OAI "set". By default, a harvesting
interface would return everything (to be consistant with other OAI
repositories outside of the VO). A special set called "ivo_managed" would
be defined to return only those records that originate from that registry.

Feel free to respond directly to this email via this mail list.
Alternatively, you can edit the discussion page for this question on the
Twiki at http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/HarvestAll.

Additional questions I will post in future emails can be found at
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RegistryInterfacePre10Discussion.

thanks for your thoughts!