ListRecords only and get rid of GetRegistries

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 04:48:09 PST 2005

Hello Aurelien.  I will try to have a new wsdl out next week.

What I would like to propose is similar to what you said below and something
I mentioned on a particular wiki page.  I would like to get rid of the
GetRegistries service.  And state that ListRecords returns only XML
Resources that are managed by that registry plus Registry Types. We need to
make it more stated to say ListRecords only returns managed authorities, it
was in the older registry interface spec but not quite as stated boldly in
this one.

Maybe Ray wants to say some words about OAI sets.  This is new to the
Interface Spec, currently I don't know a lot about OAI sets.  At the moment
I don't see the need for OAI sets, because you can get everything you ever
need to do with ListRecords.   And I am not sure if the sets would ever be
used.  Unless we want to have a long discussion of replacing ListRecords
with sets, which at the moment I am more comfortable with ListRecords for
harvesting registries.

As for your question on ADQL, yes we only want to do the basics of ADQL and
only the where part, and don't use regionmatches and others at the moment.

But it keeps getting brought up to support "Select" where a user can select
a particular element.  For instance a particular Table instead of a full
Resource.  This needs to get discussed a little more, I think it could be a
good idea, but changes  things significantly.

Cheers,
Kevin