New helper query interface method

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 14 03:33:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Guy Rixon wrote:
> If we have the query that just returns the list of identifiers, and we have
> the query that returns the document for one identifier, then we wouldn't need
> a paging arrangement; the client could do the paging by calling down the
> documents one by one by identifier. This would be a lot simpler.

Simpler, yes, but definitely not as efficient as a resumption token.  If
the problem is too many result records, then fetching each one-by-one will
incur a big performance hit.

Nevertheless, returning a list of identifiers from a search and resumption
tokens are both good ideas.

I'll note that resumption tokens may not be a perfect solution for the
Yuji's problem unless the client is able to indicate the maximum number of
records it will get back.  This also suggests that the server MUST support
the resumption token mechansim.  In contrast to OAI, resumption tokens are
optional and a choice of the serving registry (not the client).