RofR

Gretchen Greene greene at stsci.edu
Tue Apr 12 10:44:58 PDT 2005

it is a direct url link to the OAI resource publication.  I
have to admit i did advocate adding this to the schema to
have a reference instead of building another required service.

This predated the authority IDs mechanics and the simplicity
works to overcome the QA and maintenance barriers.  Note any
XML reader can verify the resource metadata source.  This
should be a plus.

Okay,  a little rambling here.

I guess the picture i have a hard time with is really the
VObs and the proposed "hands-off" nature of the networked
registries.  This would parallel the world view of
ATM/Banking.  How to get scientific data to fit into that
regime is hard to see.  I see things as more dynamical less
static and the need for flexibility and change.

CDS has done an excellent job at maintaining a large set of
managed metadata resources and perhaps they would have more
insight to this than i,  but the complexity of metadata that
is proposed i would think will require constant updates and
the simpler the better.

-Gretchen

> freedom is to publish a field "harvestedFrom",  not in the

What does the harvestedFrom contain? Is it a pointer to the
registry from
which the record was harvested? If so, can you not derive the
registry by
looking at the authID of the record and seeing which registry
manages/owns
that authID?

(I'm assuming that the resource record for a registry
includes the list of
authIDs it owns/manages - I don't have access to schema at
the moment.)