RofR

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 11:54:28 PDT 2005

> I guess the picture i have a hard time with is really the
> VObs and the proposed "hands-off" nature of the networked
> registries...  I see things as more dynamical less
> static and the need for flexibility and change.

But in order to allow 'flexibility and change', you need systems that can
adapt and support that level of dynamism - or you have systems that cannot
cope with it and simply leave everything to the user to decide.

I'm aiming at systems that can cope with significant dynamism without
constantly going back to the user looking for guidance.

> CDS has done an excellent job at maintaining a large set of
> managed metadata resources and perhaps they would have more
> insight to this than i,  but the complexity of metadata that
> is proposed i would think will require constant updates and
> the simpler the better.

I don't think constant updates will be necessary. Once a resource is
catalogued, even with extremely complex metadata, updates will only be
required if the dataset itself changes.

The goal has to be to create software which responds to changes in datasets
and automatically updates the resource metadata.