Extensions on the registry

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 08:44:11 PDT 2005

I just thought it might be good to start the specific topic of extensions as
a separate Thread.  I must say I do sort of like the idea Matthew has down
(at the bottom) where if you wanted to find out if there is a supported
Schema or namespace, it might help try to solve one of the questions below..

I do agree with Tony that it is nice if we are able to store extensions to
the Resource schema.  Even if we might not be able to query on it.

But is there general agreement to all of this in the IVOA?  I don't know.

So lets kick off with a couple of questions on this thread.
Does everybody agree that we should be able to on Full Registries store all
Resources including extension Resources?
Would it be okay if certain Full Registries would not be able to query on
them and possibly never query on them (them being the extension part of the
schema's)?  Is this where we could maybe use the getSupportedSchema.  So
using Matthew's idea below: An app who know they are not part of the IVOA
standard schemas could ask the registry if there schema is supported by a
particular registry.   My take is Supported means queryable.

Cheers,
Kevin

FYI.
The way Astrogrid would work on an extension would be that you would be able
to store it and you would be able to query for the Resource record if it was
a query just on known namespaces hence IVOA standard namespace schemas.  But
once an app/user tried to query on an particular element that was of that
extension, it would fail because the namespace is not known to the query
mechanism.  The good thing is you simply just add the "declare namespace..."
on a particular config property to have it work.