RofR

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 09:51:21 PDT 2005

Hi Kev,

> There was talk of a local/special registry or "private
> publishing registry"
> and have a Full Registry be able to manage these as well; is
> that correct?

No, these were two different concepts. The local registry was one I
introduced, initially to describe the invisible registries which were only
known to one publishing registry which was responsible for putting their
records onto the VObs. Let's drop that idea - there is no such thing as far
as the VObs is concerned. The AstroGrid registry will offer a facility like
this to data publishers who don't want the responsibility for publishing
metadata but we'll talk about this offline - it is nothing to do with the
IVOA.

The 'special' registry is one which only provides a subset of resource
records. Initially, the idea for this was that a registry would only
harvest, say, records with a keyword of 'Xray' or might only store records
which it deems 'acceptable' and users and agents which only wanted to search
on this subset of records could use such a registry.

Now, we have registries which might only serve up a subset of resources
based on the schema used to encode the resource metadata. Whether these also
qualify as 'special' registries, I don't know.

> Does a Full Registry really need
> to know about these local special registries?

No, it doesn't.