RofR

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Tue Apr 12 02:28:16 PDT 2005

Tony Linde wrote:

> Going on to Matthew's point, some registries can only search on specific
> extensions, so we'll need to be able to list the schemas supported by those
> registries (default is that all searches are enabled).
>
> Sound right?

No, for an extensible system you cannot have a default of "All" - you
need always to list explicitly the things that you support, otherwise
someone adds a new exension that you do not know about (and do not
support) and you would still be claiming with the default "All" to
support it.

It would probably need a list of namespaces that the registry supports
to make this distinction. However, this also has implications for the
harvesting - to avoid getting partial records a registry should not
harvest records with namespaces that it does not understand.

The current situation is problematic

Consider this CEA resource

http://galahad.star.le.ac.uk:8081/astrogrid-registry/viewResourceEntry.jsp?version=0.10&IVORN=ivo://org.astrogrid/JBORealCEC

it has an extension that lists the Applications that the server can run
- the cea:ApplicationReference elements

This has been harvested into the STSCI registry as

http://nvo.stsci.edu/voregistry/registry.asmx/QueryVOResource?predicate=identifier%3D%27ivo%3a%2f%2forg.astrogrid%2fJBORealCEC%27

i.e. has lost all of the important extension information - it would be
better not to find the resource at all in the STSCI registry, than to
gain a false impression of the capabilities of the resource in the CEA case.

Carnivore does contain a correct record - It is just not so easy to
provide a URL that will point to the record. Search for JBORealCEC in
the simple search interface.

I think that the only practical course at the moment is to store the
necessary metadata about registries that describes their differences,
rather than mandate that all of them are the same. This does not
preclude a future where all registries are equally capable, but allows
us to interoperate now.

--
Paul Harrison
ESO Garching