RofR

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 11:38:56 PDT 2005

Thanks, Ray. That's fine - we can have it both ways. Registries which want
to be harvested every night can add their details into the RofR  and those
which don't stay out of it.

So let's bring back the local registry. If a data centre doesn't want to be
bothered by the world knocking on its door every night, it simply sets up a
private arrangement with another registry to be harvested on a regular basis
(or when it asks for harvesting) and the rest of the VObs is none the wiser.

The registry which manages these records for the local one will need some
way of identifying the authIDs it owns and those it manages for other local
registries but, again, this is invisible to the outside world.

So, every registry 'known' to the VObs is a publishing one and supports the
harvest methods. The resource record for that registry includes the authIDs
that it is responsible for and a normal harvest only returns these records
but a full set can also be got (or the other way around).

Some registries also support the standard query methods, so we need some way
to indicate this in the registry record.

Going on to Matthew's point, some registries can only search on specific
extensions, so we'll need to be able to list the schemas supported by those
registries (default is that all searches are enabled).

Sound right?