RofR

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 06:31:30 PDT 2005

> >Let's distinguish between full and publishing registries.
> >
> I was never really comfortable with this distinction. My view
> is that each registry *may* have any of three interfaces:
> publish, query, and harvest. A registry may harvest only a
> few other registries, or it may harvest all. If people can
> publish or query there, I don't see what that has to do with
> their harvesting policies. Please can somebody explain the
> advantage of this  full/publish scheme?

Registries do not publish anything - publishing registries started out being
called 'local' registries to indicate that they were invisible on the global
scale. Registries only support harvesting and query interfaces.

If a registry supports a query interface, it is a full registry - it must
contain all resource records (therefore must harvest from other registries
in order to do so).

A registry which does not support the query interface is a publishing (or
local) registry. It is simply somewhere someone (like a data centre) can
stick resource metadata which is harvested by one other full registry. That
full registry is the one which manages the publishing registry's authIDs.

In effect, the same software is likely used for both types of registry but
the different names indicate the different ways they function.