RofR

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 11 06:17:27 PDT 2005

Tony Linde wrote:

>I'm unclear about what the registry of registries (RofR) is going to do. I
>understand that *every* registry is listed there, whether full or
>publishing.

I am also unclear. I think it is good to know where the registries are
running, but I do not see why the RofR needs to be a registry itself.
The problem then is that the owner of the RofR is perceived as being the
center of the IVO, which is politically unattractive, unless you are
part of the project that runs the central registry, in which case it is
very attractive.

Perhaps the RofR could start out as a web page or a Twiki page, just so
we know where everyone is. Forget the formal structure for now? A URL
for humans and an endpoint to get the service?

>Let's distinguish between full and publishing registries.

I was never really comfortable with this distinction. My view is that
each registry *may* have any of three interfaces: publish, query, and
harvest. A registry may harvest only a few other registries, or it may
harvest all. If people can publish or query there, I don't see what that
has to do with their harvesting policies. Please can somebody explain
the advantage of this  full/publish scheme?

Roy