RofR

Matthew J. Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:30:04 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Apr 11, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Tony Linde wrote:

> If a registry supports a query interface, it is a full registry - it
> must
> contain all resource records (therefore must harvest from other
> registries
> in order to do so).

I disagree. A domain specific registry, e.g. one that contains
resources of relevance to the GRB community, can support the query
interface because GRB folks want to be able to search it but does not
need to hold all resource records which the GRB people have no interest
in and would be extra admin for the registry maintainer.

The options for a registry are really:
- is it a publishing registry (I can harvest the records it maintains)
- is it a "full" registry (it contains most records which I can access)

The availability of a search interface has nothing to do with the size
of the contents.

I also think we need to drop this idea of a full registry because
supporting every variant schema that every astronomer comes up is
unrealistic (and this has nothing to do with relational/native XML
implementation), e.g. is Astrogrid intending to support the horrible
hack schema that identifies records from the Penge Local Astronomy
Youth Club?  I think we should have an extra piece of metadata on the
Registry record which lists the schemata that the registry supports and
this should also have one method on the Registry Interface at least:
getSupportedSchema() - may also isSupported(XMLSchema mySchema)?

	Cheers,

	Matthew