ownedAuthority element

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 12:50:01 PDT 2005

Yes Matthew I am starting to have some other thoughts now.  But I do think
the hierarchical model would be nice, maybe make it flexible where we don't
have to use it.  Or similiar like you said possibly we decide to keep it
flat a little longer espcially if we are going to go through several
curation issues.

Here are some thoughts:
My thoughts are that Registries when harvested and need to return there OAI
form of there records will show <ownedAuthority> and there
<managedAuthority> records.

Hence much like today a Full Registry may not go the hierarchical route and
may just harvest the smaller Publishing registries if desired.  This might
also save us from some troubled areas of calling up registries telling them
to find a Full Registry to manage with.

Some registries may have <managedAuthority> and <ownedAuthority> of the same
authority id, in fact this is common in Full Registries.  A lot of our Full
Registries have there own authority ids that they publish.
Another good example might be CDS which is a publishing registry, I am
thinking now we don't require that a Full Registry manages "CDS" authority
id, CDS may wish to stay as a Publishing Registry and have
<managedAuthority> and <ownedAuthority> elements itself.

So maybe we just recommend to Publishing Registries to find another Full
Registry for managing there Authority id's.

Somebody might look at the CDS example or Full Registries that do
publishing, can we get rid of the elements like <managedAuthority> in that
case, I would suggest that we keep both that way we are clear who is
managing and who is writing/owning the data.

As for your questions below, yes I would assume a Publishing registry could
change/transfer to a different Full Registry if they desired.

Now keep in mind I do believe a authority id can only be managed by ONE
Registry only.  Otherwise report some errors of some conflicts. Same goes
for the <ownedAuthority>.

Now I don't know what to do if the person at the Full Registry refuses to
relinquish  a Managed Authority id if the publishing registry wants to
change :)   Lets hope two people are not that mad at each other.  (there
might be away to transfer authority id management if you can prove your the
owner?)

So yes some more debate in this area is needed.

Cheers,
Kevin