ownedAuthority element

Matthew J. Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 5 11:28:19 PDT 2005

Hi Kevin,

The idea here then is to actually change the meaning of
<managedAuthority>?
Currently we have (if you're lucky since not all registries use the
managedAuthority tag - it's only optional at the moment):

<Registry>
   <identifier>a small publish registry</identifier>
   <managedAuthority>ivo://nvo.apple</managedAuthority>
   <managedAuthority>ivo://nvo.pear</managedAuthority>
</Registry>

which means that the Authority records ivo://nvo.apple and
ivo://nvo.pear reside in this registry and that resources identified
with these authorities can only be published in this registry. I would
say that this really means that this registry *owns* these authorities.

What you are suggesting is that this would become:

<Registry>
   <identifier>a small publishing registry</identifier>
   <ownedAuthority>ivo://nvo.apple</ownedAuthority>
   <ownedAuthority>ivo://nvo.pear</ownedAuthority>
</Registry>

and that there would also be:

<Registry>
   <identifier>the local full registry</identifier>
   <managedAuthority>ivo://nvo.apple</managedAuthority>
   <managedAuthority>ivo://nvo.pear</managedAuthority>
</Registry>

When people wanted to harvest records from the small publishing
registry they would instead harvest them via the local full registry
and it would only ever be the local full registry which harvested from
the small publishing registry?

Would the small publishing registry be free to choose which full
registry managed it? Would it be free to change its managing full
registry if it wanted to, e.g. because it was not being harvested
frequently enough or the verificationLevels that the full registry was
assiging its records were not what it felt it deserved?

I tend to think that the hierarchical model is really only justified if
we had 10000+ registries instead of maybe 10+.

	Cheers,

	Matthew