ownedAuthority element

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:12:46 PDT 2005

Hi guys,

Just for the record, it was my fault that ownedAuthority was omitted from
the VORegistry schema, and that the meaning of managedAuthority and
ownedAuthority got switched.  Sorry `bout that.

That said, I thought I would throw one more thought into this discussion
before we all sleep on it.  I was planning to suggest that we drop the
<managedAuthority> element from the Registry type; instead, we would put a
reference to the managing Registry in the Authority type.  The main reason
is that it is currently clumsy to maintain.  Each time a new Authority ID
is defined, not only must an Authority record be created, but the existing
Registry record must be updated.  If we instead put a <managingRegistry>
(or <homeRegistry>) element into the Authority record, no other updates
are necessary.

Finding the registry that manages/owns an authority ID is similar.
Instead of

   where @xsi:type='Registry' and managedAuthority='{authID}'

we would,

   where @xsi:type='Authority' and identifier='ivo://{authid}'

and then pull out identifier from the <managingRegistry> element.  To
learn more about the Registry you would have to resolve the identifier
into its record.