ownedAuthority element

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 02:14:45 PDT 2005

There was something agreed to and thought to be good idea back in Boston
IVOA meeting.  But unfortunately did not make it into the 0.10 schema.  The
idea was to have a <ownedAuthority> element at the same level as
<managedAuthority> in the Registry type.  Where by <ownedAuthority> will be
the original publishing Registry where the Resource records are changed, and
<managedAuthority> could be at a separate Registry (normally a Full
Registry).

The reason for this is because numbers of publishing registries are starting
to grow and the current mechanism we have in place a Full Registry must go
around to every Registry (Full or Publish) doing harvests, when in general
it is more practical and beneficial if you could just go to maybe 1 or 2
Full Registries (most likely in a particular region/area/country/continent -
what ever makes the best sense) and pick up all the information.

Now how does the Full(managed Registry) go to a publishing Registry to pick
up there data.  Well I would assume it is also by the harvesting interface
and I would also assume it would be good if the Full Registry (that manages
a Publishing Registry) is down for the moment then another particular Full
Registry may have some logic to go to the Publishing registry to do a
harvest, but I don't think we should dictate that.  I would rather just do
mostly Full Registry to Full Registry harvests.

For an example (these are just examples):
HEASARC - may be managed by STSCI Full Registry - NVO
NCSA - may be managed by Carnivore Full Registry - NVO
Portsmouth, MSSL, RAL - may be managed by Galahad Leicester Full Registry -
Astrogrid
Edinburgh(roe) - may be managed by Cambridge Full Registry - Astrogrid
Tokyo, Kyoto - may be managed by Nagasaki Full Registry in - JVO
CDS - CDS Publishing Registry

Now instead of Full Registries doing up to 14 different harvests of a
registry there is just 6.

So is there anything that needs to be better explained?  Does everybody
still see this as a good idea to implement.  I would think it is still a
good idea and something we should implement when ever we do the next release
of the Registry Type schema.

Cheers,
Kevin