V10 schema - We need VODescription

Paul Harrison pah at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri May 28 10:03:41 PDT 2004

Hi

I wanted to make this point in more detail in the interop session where
we nearly lost the will to live...

We need VODescription (as a container for multiple resources) in the
core schema document - it appears to be missing from the v10 schema in
an attempt to satisfy the need to decrease the hierarchy depth, but it
is necessary to have some sort of element that allows us to create a
*valid* xml document that contains more than one resource, as xml
documents can only have one root element. Having a VODescription element
and Resource element defined globally means that you can create a valid
document with a single Resource as the root (which satisfles the
flatteners) or a VODescription as the root when you want to create a
document that contains a set of resources...

Cheers,
    Paul.

--
Dr. Paul Harrison, Astrogrid Developer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,