V10 schema - We need VODescription

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 28 14:03:27 PDT 2004

Hey Paul,

One of the things (I think) we decided was to remove the definition of
global elements out of the Resource metadata schema--that is, we just
define types.  Applications and Interfaces, then, define the global
elements as needed.

For example, the registry interface spec will define a separate "document"
schema (using Gerard's parlance) that imports the standard RMS types and
defines the <resource> element as needed (e.g. in the context of OAI
harvesting).  If we need a VODescription for multiple resources to support
the RI standard, then we'll put that in there, too.

Otherwise, if you need VODescription, go ahead and define it in your own
document schema for the particular app that will use it.