Error column in VOResource

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 18 09:16:57 PDT 2004

Ray Plante wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004, Tony Linde wrote:
>
>>the registry is a one stop shop for all metadata.
>

> I disagree with this statement in general.  Besides various pratical
> reasons of scaling and scope, there is an issue of volitility.
>
> Making the registry a one-stop shop for metadata demands a tight coupling
> with the services they describe.  Any change in the service must be
> reflected back into the registry.

Yes - but that's only (reasonably) quick updates and registry
propogation, rather than tightly coupling form/interfaces.   The form
coupling is through the VOResource schema, the 'getMetadata' interface
is simple enough to be loose.

> If the registry is simply about
> discovering services, the coupling is looser, and the service is more
> flexible to changes in implementation.

How do you discover things unless you present data that can be queried?
  I would have thought that at the least you will want to describe the
columns of a dataset (if it has columns!), so that any discovery service
can find the datasets that contain information it wants... Presumably
you have in mind some other sorts of discovery?

> It can be argued that the tighter the coupling, the more costly the system
> in terms of software development and coordination of people.  A tightly
> coupled design may be appropriate for a particular VO project that can
> manage that coordination; however, it's less appropriate for the IVOA as a
> whole.

That's a sweeping statement :-) While I think tools/datacenters should
be able to present their metadata directly too (but this is how I
envisaged the registry to harvest the data in the first place), it will
make the wider VO-level tools even more coupled to the workings of the
services if they have to go to each one to get its metadata...

> It's an interesting issue that I expect we'll learn more about with
> experience.

Yes - need to try out some things!

Cheers,

MC