Error column in VOResource

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue May 18 08:42:11 PDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Martin Hill wrote:
> Thanks for the link there.  I haven't read through this in detail yet
> (will do, but this is still my day off... :-) but it looks incompatible
> with all other Registry harvestable datacenters...  All other ones
> return VOResource...?

An SIA service is not a registry, and thus is not directly harvested from.
(Note that if we imported VOTable into VODataService, it would be trivial
to integrate the SIA metadata response into a stored resource record. ;-)
Whether this is a good idea depends on whether you think VOTable should be
the IVOA currency for tabular data.)

Note, however, that SIA and ConeSearch records are the most used records
in the NVO registry, so we demonstrate that they play together just fine.

(This is somewhat moot, as the SIA and Cone Search prototype specs predate
our emerging registry standards.)

> Can't all the metadata stuff in the example in the SIA spec be described
> using WSDL?

Sure!  Would you like to volunteer show us what SIA would look like? ;-)

At the moment, using a WSDL to describe these simple services seems like a
long walk for a short drink of water.  Perhaps this will not be such a big
deal in the Web Service era.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how the CEA approach pans out.