Elements to add to TabularSkyService

Gretchen Greene greene at stsci.edu
Mon Jul 5 07:29:48 PDT 2004

Hey Martin,

If you develop an extension that uses some of these new concepts as Ray
suggest,  it is along the lines of what we've discussed before with
schemas that are essentially a step beyond the standard resource
metadata.  To me it's much like the object-oriented approach to sw
practices in general,  components.....

Bear in mind though that much of what we are planning to do with the VO
registries is the be able to harvest 'between' the varying repositories.
I certainly understand the tedious development steps from our own
prototyping.  Again,  if you can present an extension it is not so
difficult for testing on our end and to support harvesting not sure what
all needs to be in place.

The problem that I see growing is how the population and curation of the
metadata for resources will evolve once schema advance so far.  There's
a lot of variation between say datacenters registering managed datasets,
vs harvesting other centers and supporting independent publishing.

Not sure what you mean by being "far away" from document based
descriptions of metadata.  I haven't seen any practicing astron archive
that has all these features in place.  We use technology which has more
XML features than I can imagine at this point.  Like I mentioned in the
earlier message ...when the ideas are being thrown around with far and
few between prototypes,  the technology is just waiting for the chance
to be demonstrated.

-Gretchen